All services now open! No referral necessary!
What Separates Our Massage Therapists?
While most patients view massage as synonymous with relaxation, at MYo we have a different approach. Our Registered Massage Therapists place an emphasis on therapeutic massages, meaning deeper techniques are utilized for a corrective process. This allows massage to be used for recovery, injury prevention and mobility restoration. Within our team, our Massage Therapists will be taking care of your muscular and connective tissue restrictions to help you on your road to your goals.
Therapeutic massages are the definite majority performed at MYo, but this doesn’t mean we ignore relaxation. Therapeutic massages contribute to injury recovery & prevention, but a relaxation massage can be vital for those who need to destress, slow down and take some time to unwind- if this is you, be sure to let your Massage Therapist know so they can adjust their techniques appropriately.
What to Expect?
Depending on the nature of your condition, your Massage Therapist may be working directly on the painful area, or they may focus away from the primary complaint but on the area that is driving the overall pain. An easy example of this is many individuals suffer from lower back discomfort caused by tightness in the hips- meaning if they just focused on the area of pain, the pain might dissipate, but it would likely return quite quickly. At MYo, we want to get to the root of the problem so we can quickly get you moving in the right direction.
Gillian has a background in emergency medicine and made the change to massage therapy to help people pursue wellness before they are in a crisis. Having undergone two reconstructive knee surgeries herself, Gillian understands the importance of having a strong team supporting recovery and would love to be part of your journey. All of Gillian’s sense of humour can be traced back to the movies she watches.
Areas of Passion:
1. Women’s Health: Helping women deal with the added fatigue, stress, and physical changes associated with pregnancy and post-partum is a priority for Gillian. Her techniques support physical health as the body experiences momentous changes, as well as provide relaxation and stress relief.
2. Headaches: Headaches go part in parcel with living in Calgary. But did you know, your headache is likely associated with neck and shoulder tension. Gillian's thorough approach to treating these areas can help to alleviate tension headaches, and address postural concerns.
3. Shoulder injuries: The shoulder has the most range of motion of any joint in the body which also means it has the least stability leading to common shoulder injuries. Gillian uses her anatomical knowledge of the shoulder complex to treat the affected structures.
Lauren is an active individual who has worked as a program’s coordinator and in customer service; she loves people and planning. She made the switch to study massage therapy after moving to Calgary and finally heeding her mum’s lifelong suggestion that she would make a great Massage Therapist. Lauren offers new insight of recent learning and her treatment approach is of superior quality. Discovering how much she loves her new career path means she will never live down that her mum was right all along.
Areas of Passion:
1. Postural alignment: Lauren believes in treating the body as an entire system that works together. By treating postural misalignment conditions such as upper and lower crossed syndrome this will result in enhancement of posture and promote better function of the whole system.
2. Sports Rehabilitation: As an avid hockey player and marathon runner, the benefits of massage therapy to assist in recuperation and aide in rehabilitation after injury are immeasurable. Lauren is passionate about treating to promote restoration and recovery of previous or current injuries, and further stimulate increased function for the moving body.
3. Core and Lower Limbs: The core muscles, thighs, legs and feet are the body’s biggest components in maintaining proper posture and alignment. It is their literal job to support you! By establishing regular massage therapy treatment sessions, focusing on these structures, results are extremely beneficial and treatment outcomes include improved alignment and increased function.
Zack is a recreational athlete in a variety of sports, with a previous background as a kinesiologist. Hailing all the way from Newfoundland, while most recently living in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Zack brings a fresh sense of education along with him. Recently graduated from a massage therapy diploma program at the Canadian College of Massage & Hydrotherapy,
Zack emphasizes the importance of specific strengthening exercises during the rehabilitation process and understands functional bodily movements. Using his elaborate education in human anatomy, Zack looks at the body as a whole in order to understand the correct cause behind every presented symptom. In a treatment with Zack, there will be a direct focus on targeting the correct muscles, followed by strengthening exercises to support it.
Areas of Passion:
1. Ergonomics/Postural Dysfunction: Utilizing his background as a kinesiologist Zack likes to ensure the body is capable of moving properly and efficiently. Postural dysfunctions are apart of everyone’s daily lives. Zack will aim to address any misalignment in regards to posture to ensure the body can move functionally.
2. Pelvis/Hip Dysfunctions: Our bodies weight and all of our movements run through the Pelvis/Hip area. Zack believes that in order for the body to move efficiently, the hub of all bodily movements must be addressed. Understanding the correlation between the Pelvis/Hip region along with other parts of the body.
3. Active/Movement Based + Deep Tissue Massage: Zack stresses the importance of either keeping or getting the body moving. Whether that be on the table in treatment or afterwards regarding proper, yet simple home-care exercises. Utilizing his strength, Zack takes a deeper approach to soft tissue work.
4. Soccer Athletes: As a long time soccer player and coach, Zack has the ability to relate to soccer injuries in the lower body. Understanding how the game is played while really enjoying the sport, Zack feels is prepared for all the soccer athletes out there.
Vera was born and raised in Calgary. She’s been practicing as a therapist since 2003 with training from Mount Royal College and finishing her certification at Calgary College of Holistic Health. Her training was originally inspired by receiving treatments herself due to her personal injuries. Massage therapy was a big contribution to her healing progression.
Her practice then evolved when she was inspired by how beautifully the human body was created to heal. She believes that we are created to move (and grow) in every area of our being- mind, body and spirit. If any of these areas are neglected, the body becomes stagnant to heal.
Fitness, yoga and nutrition are an integral part of cultivating her growth. Outside of her massage practice, you will find her staying active (preferably outside). She is married to the love of her life and they have a 2.5 year old. She loves to surrounds herself with like minded people on a similar journey of reaching their optimal potential.
Areas of Passion:
Alberta born, Ontario raised, Jocelyn has come back as a Registered Massage Therapist to welcome all clientele from novice movers to advanced athletes; educating clients to live a healthy, balanced life is her passion. Jocelyn focuses on providing therapeutic maintenance, prevention and rehabilitation to her clients. She has a holistic comprehension of the human body and believes massage therapy plays a large role in strengthening the relationship between the mind-body connection.
Areas of Passion:
1. Stretch to flex: Do you commonly say the words “I need to stretch more”? Jocelyn incorporates passive and active stretching techniques into her treatments. If your body craves more Jocelyn has become certified as a Performance Stretch Therapist, which is a floor-based assisted stretching program designed to increase mobility, flexibility and performance. Some clients have described this unconventional treatment as “lazy-man's yoga”.
2. Hip and shoulder complex: Jocelyn has struggled with hip and shoulder mobility in the past and understands the impact that can have on your life. Through her own trial and error she has learned a series of approaches to help provide relief and increase range of motion. Whether it is frozen shoulder, hip clicking or general dysfunction, Jocelyn is here to help!
3. Upper/ Lower cross syndrome: Are you a desk jockey? Lots of workplaces force people into a seated posture staring at a computer for extended periods of time. This can cause neck and upper back pain or hip stiffness and low back discomfort. Jocelyn uses a combination of techniques to help release and strengthen appropriate muscles to make your workday pain-free.