What Separates Our Massage Therapists?
While most patients view massage as synonymous with relaxation, at MYo we have a different approach. Our Registered Massage Therapists place an emphasis on therapeutic massages, meaning deeper techniques are utilized for a corrective process. This allows massage to be used for recovery, injury prevention and mobility restoration. Within our team, our Massage Therapists will be taking care of your muscular and connective tissue restrictions to help you on your road to your goals.
Therapeutic massages are the definite majority performed at MYo, but this doesn’t mean we ignore relaxation. Therapeutic massages contribute to injury recovery & prevention, but a relaxation massage can be vital for those who need to destress, slow down and take some time to unwind- if this is you, be sure to let your Massage Therapist know so they can adjust their techniques appropriately.
What to Expect?
Depending on the nature of your condition, your Massage Therapist may be working directly on the painful area, or they may focus away from the primary complaint but on the area that is driving the overall pain. An easy example of this is many individuals suffer from lower back discomfort caused by tightness in the hips- meaning if they just focused on the area of pain, the pain might dissipate, but it would likely return quite quickly. At MYo, we want to get to the root of the problem so we can quickly get you moving in the right direction.
Gillian has a background in emergency medicine and made the change to massage therapy to help people pursue wellness before they are in a crisis. Having undergone two reconstructive knee surgeries herself, Gillian understands the importance of having a strong team supporting recovery and would love to be part of your journey. All of Gillian’s sense of humour can be traced back to the movies she watches.
Areas of Passion:
1. Women’s Health: Helping women deal with the added fatigue, stress, and physical changes associated with pregnancy and post-partum is a priority for Gillian. Her techniques support physical health as the body experiences momentous changes, as well as provide relaxation and stress relief.
2. Headaches: Headaches go part in parcel with living in Calgary. But did you know, your headache is likely associated with neck and shoulder tension. Gillian's thorough approach to treating these areas can help to alleviate tension headaches, and address postural concerns
3. Shoulder injuries: The shoulder has the most range of motion of any joint in the body which also means it has the least stability leading to common shoulder injuries. Gillian uses her anatomical knowledge of the shoulder complex to treat the affected structures.
Lauren is an active individual who has worked as a program’s coordinator and in customer service; she loves people and planning. She made the switch to study massage therapy after moving to Calgary and finally heeding her mum’s lifelong suggestion that she would make a great Massage Therapist. Lauren offers new insight of recent learning and her treatment approach is of superior quality. Discovering how much she loves her new career path means she will never live down that her mum was right all along.
Areas of Passion:
1. Postural alignment: Lauren believes in treating the body as an entire system that works together. By treating postural misalignment conditions such as upper and lower crossed syndrome this will result in enhancement of posture and promote better function of the whole system.
2. Sports Rehabilitation: As an avid hockey player and marathon runner, the benefits of massage therapy to assist in recuperation and aide in rehabilitation after injury are immeasurable. Lauren is passionate about treating to promote restoration and recovery of previous or current injuries, and further stimulate increased function for the moving body.
3. Core and Lower Limbs: The core muscles, thighs, legs and feet are the body’s biggest components in maintaining proper posture and alignment. It is their literal job to support you! By establishing regular massage therapy treatment sessions, focusing on these structures, results are extremely beneficial and treatment outcomes include improved alignment and increased function.
Zack is a recreational athlete in a variety of sports, with a previous background as a kinesiologist. Hailing all the way from Newfoundland, while most recently living in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Zack brings a fresh sense of education along with him. Recently graduated from a massage therapy diploma program at the Canadian College of Massage & Hydrotherapy,
Zack emphasizes the importance of specific strengthening exercises during the rehabilitation process and understands functional bodily movements. Using his elaborate education in human anatomy, Zack looks at the body as a whole in order to understand the correct cause behind every presented symptom. In a treatment with Zack, there will be a direct focus on targeting the correct muscles, followed by strengthening exercises to support it.
Areas of Passion:
1. Ergonomics/Postural Dysfunction: Utilizing his background as a kinesiologist Zack likes to ensure the body is capable of moving properly and efficiently. Postural dysfunctions are apart of everyone’s daily lives. Zack will aim to address any misalignment in regards to posture to ensure the body can move functionally.
2. Pelvis/Hip Dysfunctions: Our bodies weight and all of our movements run through the Pelvis/Hip area. Zack believes that in order for the body to move efficiently, the hub of all bodily movements must be addressed. Understanding the correlation between the Pelvis/Hip region along with other parts of the body.
3. Active/Movement Based + Deep Tissue Massage: Zack stresses the importance of either keeping or getting the body moving. Whether that be on the table in treatment or afterwards regarding proper, yet simple home-care exercises. Utilizing his strength, Zack takes a deeper approach to soft tissue work.
4. Soccer Athletes: As a long time soccer player and coach, Zack has the ability to relate to soccer injuries in the lower body. Understanding how the game is played while really enjoying the sport, Zack feels is prepared for all the soccer athletes out there.
Matt is born and raised in Calgary, with a passion for sports and wellness. He comes with the experience and background working as paramedic, now shifting gears to treat clients in a “LESS” emergent setting. He decided a career in massage would fit the bill of both helping patients/clients deal with their injuries and ailments and working with athletes looking to improve on their craft. He came to this conclusion after numerous massage treatments over the years equalling a grand total of 1 massage, before going to school.
Areas of passion
1. Working with athletes: Matt grew up playing soccer, and hockey at a high level. He understands the stress and strain that participating in organized sports can put on the body. He enjoys working with athletes and wants to be a part of their progress to becoming the best they can be.
2. Hip complex: Being a goalie in hockey Matt knows the importance that the hip joint plays in not only sports, but how it connects the lower body to the core and creates the powerhouse of the body.
3. Rotator cuff/shoulder complex: One of, if not the major mover of the upper body. Matt knows how susceptible this area can be to overuse and significant injuries. He likes to focus on some of the smaller, often forgotten muscle groups in this region.